In 1900, the North Braddock Volunteer Fire Department was chartered by the newly created Borough of North Braddock. The first station was located in the original Borough building that was located at the intersection of Spring Street and Jones Avenue. Two years later in 1902, the residents of the Wolfetown section of North Braddock founded the second fire department in North Braddock. With the creation of this fire department, the two fire departments were renamed after their respective voting wards, North Braddock VFD Hose Co. #1 (Wolfetown) and the North Braddock VFD Hose Co. #2 (North Braddock). The following year in 1903, the residents of the Shady Park section of North Braddock created the Hose Co. #3 of the North Braddock VFD. Each of the three stations had their own by-laws and officers which lead to the creating of the North Braddock Fire Department and the North Braddock Fire Department Relief Association. The North Braddock Fire Department was a means of settling station level grievances that were not able to be resolved and a means of establishing Borough wide policies. It also created a Borough Fire Chief that would assist the three company chiefs as needed.
With the dwindling membership, community support and government funding, these organizations merged in September of 2005 to create the North Braddock Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. and the North Braddock Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. Relief Association. The first step in the new merger was to consolidate resources causing the closure of the Hose Co. #3 of the North Braddock VFD.
Today, the North Braddock VFD Inc. operates with 1 Fire Chief, operates out of 1 station, and responds with an Engine, Rescue Engine, and a Squad.